The Sound Christian
"Soundness" in the Bible describes one who strives to do God's will. The following five avenues of soundness are found in the Scriptures.
In Matt. 6:33-34 we are told to “seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
We should be faithfully following Christ. He tells us in Matt. 10:22 that we “will be hated because of him but that the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
Paul also tells us in II Tim. 3:12-17 that “everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
In I Corinthians 16:13-14 we are given instructions to “be on guard, stand firm in faith and be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love. “
We must have courage enough to hold tight to what we learn from the Bible. We are not here to please mankind so why does it matter what others might think? We should not forget that if we take a step of faith Courage to carry on will follow. Courage and faith to do His Will is the very thing that moves us closer to being saved.
ABOUT CHURCHES OF CHRIST
We aspire to…
1. Have no creed but the Bible. We are committed to being Bible based, to let the word of God keep shaping and reshaping our beliefs and practices.
2. Be non-denominational Christians. We view the name “Church of Christ” as a descriptive term rather than a denominational title or affiliation. Thus our name simply means that we seek to be a fellowship that belongs only to Christ.
3. Be Christians only, but do not claim to be the only Christians. We never assume God’s job of judging the eternal destiny of others. To be sure, not everyone who claims to be a Christian is one. However, anyone who has entered into a saved relationship with God through Jesus Christ is a Christian and a member of Christ’s church.
4. We are an autonomous fellowship of Christians. This means that we have no organizational ties to any other local church. We are accountable to no one but God. We serve under a plurality of elders who provide spiritual leadership as we seek to follow no one but Christ.
5. Our worship is fairly simple and designed to keep the focus on God, not ourselves. One of the first things visitors sometimes notice is that we do not have musical instruments. We sing and do it with all our hearts. Those who have not heard unaccompanied singing before are usually quickly caught up in the beauty of the blended voices.
God commands us in Acts 10:47-48 that we should be baptized.
Of course with most all of us it starts by realizing there is something missing in our life. We find a Bible or someone who wants to study the Bible with us and we begin the process of learning. Along the way we learn that the only way that we can be saved is to REPENT and BE BAPTIZED for the remission of our sins. Acts 2:38 and Acts 22:16.
We must first believe in the Bible and believe that Jesus is the Son of God. So Belief + Baptism can equal Salvation. Mark 16:16
Once we have been baptized we should walk a new life and follow His commandments. It does not automatically happen, we have to work at doing the right thing and work following His will.
Not everyone that says Lord Lord will enter the Kingdom of Heaven but because God allowed his Son (Jesus) to be crucified on the cross we are given the above opportunity to make a difference with our salvation.